Saturday, February 8, 2014

All will be new again.

2014 is starting out as a year for the new.  I moved into a new house and a new studio space.   This studio space is too cold so I drew a self portrait in my stocking cap.  The work space is cold as it is in the basement next to the boiler and the makeup air enters from outside above my head.  It's been minus degrees Fahrenheit every night almost all winter.

John Terwilliger, "Self Portrait with stocking hat", Charcoal on Plywood, 19"x15", 2014-01-10

This new drawing is created directly on the plywood and spray fixed.  For anyone planning to work on plywood as a drawing substrate be aware that spray fix significantly alters the drawing, especially with light colored or white pastel.  Testing and planning will give you predictable results.

I plan on creating a number of portraits on plywood of family etc. so there is a body of portrait work on plywood to show.  I always tell younger artists to make sure they create enough in a given style or subject matter so they can put together a solo show.  I think it is good advice and plan to follow it which means at the size of this self portrait I need about fifty.  It's always good to have a plan and with a simple frame portraits make great holiday or birthday gifts.

The plywood I use in my art is leftover and scraps from various home renovation and cabinet construction jobs and as such is considered "green" or as recycled material.  This drawing is on a leftover piece of 1/4" b/c pine plywood which was used for the bottoms of drawers on a custom kitchen cabinet base unit I constructed for the new home.  The kitchen cabinet also used 3/4" a/b poplar plywood for the counter top, sides, and drawer and door faces.  I have started to draw on the left over poplar plywood and very much liking the results.

More on the cabinet a poplar plywood later.

No comments: